Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia. Longstanding cases of plantar fasciitis often demonstrate more degenerative changes than inflammatory changes, in which case they are termed plantar fasciosis.
The following signs and symptoms :
- Heel pain, under the heel and usually on the inside, at the origin of the attachment of the fascia.
- Pain is usually worse first thing in the morning as the fascia tightens up overnight.
- Stretching the plantar fascia may be painful.
- Sometimes there may also be pain along the outside border of the heel. This may occur due to the offloading the painful side of the heel by walking on the outside border of the foot.
- It may also be associated with the high impact of landing on the outside of the heel if you have high arched feet.